It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

NOTICE TO ALL VISITORS

Welcome to the Hip-Hop Infinity Forums (HIF)!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Barcs
 Post subject: Theory to fix the voting system in America
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:37 am 

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section like a jack ass. Haha if someone could move this to politics I'd appreciate it.

So here's my idea. Let me know if you just think I'm insane, I probably won't disagree. I know it's probably impossible to get them to change the voting process now, but if enough people support it or something similar, it could be a good thing. We are living in a digital age, let's get with the times.

1. As soon as every citizen turns 18 they are given a digital thumbprint reader that can connect to any computer via USB port. Obviously, the security would be top notch and the verification process to get one would be very strict. This reader is also associated with a voter ID #. The device would also be tamper proof. If anybody tried to open one up it would destroy itself while sending a signal to the government and you receive a fine and also have to pay for a replacement, maybe even make it stricter like jail time. I think that's fair for tampering with the voting process.

2. A voting event would last 1-2 weeks and would be a period when any citizen could connect to the government voting website and put in their vote about an issue or election. They would have to scan their thumb print, and also verify other important information as well as personalized secret questions, possibly even a webcam check. Every vote is given a security confirmation # and is sent to the voter via email with the option to print. The vote is recorded in a database and sorted by voter ID.

3. A national database is maintained and available online, including all voting history as far back as the system goes. You can look up anybody's vote by voter ID, and can sort by state or district. Obviously it won't give any personal information out, but there will be another database kept that links people's names to voter IDs, but obviously it would not be available to the public. But the raw numbers could still be verified for each district or each state as a whole. Disputes will be taken seriously and handled thoroughly.

This not only brings the system up to today's standards in security and technology, but also continues to be paperless. Every vote can also be linked and verified per each district. You can vote from the privacy of your own home, and if you do not have a computer, libraries, internet cafes and other voting areas will be given computers that the public can use to vote. It eliminates the need for absentee ballads and other nonsense that makes people not vote. I think tons more people would vote if they could simply do it from their computer or any place with the internet.

Some people might argue, "what about the Amish or the farming folk that don't use digital technology like computers?". They would have to go to the voting centers and plug in their thumbprint / webcam verifier to the computers there. It's not any different than having to go to the voting booth on election day. It's just way more secure than simply walking into a voting center, giving a license and signing your name. Do the Amish even vote, as is?

This also opens up the possibility of making this country more of a democracy, and actually letting citizens vote on issues, or at least give their opinions about current issues and polls at the voting website. This way legislators could find out exact numbers of what their citizens think about various issues. It could be a very useful tool if implemented properly.

I guess I just think voting isn't held to high enough standards of scrutiny and verification, when it really should be one of the top priorities of the nation. Without it, everything we stand for is undermined.

Last edited by Barcs on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

H8N_Vs_TommyGun
 Post subject: Re: Theory to fix the voting system in America
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:21 am 

the problem is that someone would know who you voted for which can cause conspirator terrorist working for god knows what organization, funding let say an opposing candidate to win, to basically allowing capitalistic rule to pin point individuals much easier when they don't do as instructed and lets say vote for who the rich and powerful see fit. Corporations would dominate our lives on a level incomprehensible to what we are even use to now.

Dr_
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 pm 

Tampering with votes should be treason.

H8N_Vs_TommyGun
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm 

assuming that your vote even counted in the first place id have to agree. but the system doesnt even work that cut and dry with the electoral vote system in place.

XPreNN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 am 
Administrator

How about making votes public? Peer review to the max.

H8N_Vs_TommyGun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 pm 

XPreNN wrote:
How about making votes public? Peer review to the max.

I like that idea X but no doubt thats the last thing any government existent wants! they wouldn't want to make anything where they can be called out and "blamed directly"

Dj KI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:25 pm 

Just make me the leader...

Barcs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 pm 

H8N_Vs_TommyGun wrote:
the problem is that someone would know who you voted for which can cause conspirator terrorist working for god knows what organization, funding let say an opposing candidate to win, to basically allowing capitalistic rule to pin point individuals much easier when they don't do as instructed and lets say vote for who the rich and powerful see fit. Corporations would dominate our lives on a level incomprehensible to what we are even use to now.

Someone would know, yes, but most people would not. I don't mind the idea of public voting, however. Many municipalities do it, and if everyone's vote was public, there is way more accuracy.

Dj KI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 pm 

Here is one solution :

Make me King.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]